The Additional Director General of Police
and Inspector General of Prisons,
No.4, Seshadri Road,
Bangalore 560 009
Subject: Complaint of Judicial Death of Mohamed Haneef KhajiSab (35), undertrial in Bijapur Jail.
The Kannada daily dated May 18, 2013; reports in its columns the information of the death of Mohamed Haneef KhajiSab (35), under trial in Bijapur Jail.
An under-trial Mohamed Haneef KhajiSab is said to have been ill and was admitted to the district hospital and succumbed without responding to the treatment given. He had been arrested by the Gandhi Chowk Police and was in judicial custody.
We file this complaint with a hope that a detailed enquiry into the whole matter is initiated, and that your good offices look into the circumstances involving the death of Mohamed Haneef KhajiSab and
- To look into the exact causes of the death,
- The functions and the maintenance of the prison,
- Whether there were medial personnel and facilities available for the treatment at the jail?
- Whether there was a failure on the part of the jail personnel, doctors in treatment?
- To inquire further if the procedures and guidelines laid down by the NHRC in its letter No.66/SG/NHRC/93 dated 14 December 1993 on reporting custodial deaths and also with reference to the letter vide No 40/3/95/LD dated 21 June 1995 has been adhered & followed ?
- To inquire, if the guidelines laid by the NHRC, as per the letter addressed by the Chairperson to the Chief ministers vide letter dated 10th August, 1995 on the video filming of post-mortem examinations in cases of custodial deaths has been followed?
- To also inquire, if the guidelines laid down by the NHRC, as per the letter addressed by the Chairperson to the Chief Ministers vide letter No.NHRC/ID/PM/96/57 dated 27th March 1997.
Head – Programs