Government of Karnataka
Dr Ambedkar Veedhi,
Bangalore – 560001
Subject: Complaint of Judicial Death of Veeranna Gowda Patil (45), undertrial of Haveri Jail.
The Prajavani and Vijaya Karnataka dated May 10, 2013; report in their columns the information of the death of Veeranna Gowda Patil (45years), a resident of Chikkeri Hosahalli of Hanagal Taluk.
An under-trial Veeranna Gowda, committed suicide at the sub jail on Wednesday night. He was in the prison for the last one year and some reports state that he felt dejected that none of his family members had visited him and that was the reason for his committing suicide by hanging. He had been arrested by the Hanagal Police in connection with the murder of his wife and was at the jail.
We file this complaint with a hope that a detailed enquiry into the whole matter is initiated, and that your good offices look into the circumstances involving the death of Mr. Veeranna Gowda Patil and
- To look into the exact causes of the death,
- The functions and the maintenance of the prison,
- Whether there were medial personnel and facilities available for the treatment at the jail?
- Whether there was a failure on the part of the jail personnel, doctors in treatment?
- To inquire further if the procedures and guidelines laid down by the NHRC in its letter No.66/SG/NHRC/93 dated 14 December 1993 on reporting custodial deaths and also with reference to the letter vide No 40/3/95/LD dated 21 June 1995 has been adhered & followed ?
- To inquire, if the guidelines laid by the NHRC, as per the letter addressed by the Chairperson to the Chief ministers vide letter dated 10th August, 1995 on the video filming of post-mortem examinations in cases of custodial deaths has been followed?
- To also inquire, if the guidelines laid down by the NHRC, as per the letter addressed by the Chairperson to the Chief Ministers vide letter No.NHRC/ID/PM/96/57 dated 27th March 1997.
Head – Programs